Whiplash is a neck injury caused by a sudden, forceful, rapid hyperextension (back) and hyper-flexion (forward) movement of the neck muscles, tendons and ligaments. Whiplash commonly occurs from rear-end motor vehicle accidents, sport accidents, physical abuse and other trauma. You may associate whiplash with neck pain and headaches, but a San Antonio personal injury lawyer has seen accident victims suffer from more extensive and severe symptoms. The attached video provides an in-depth discussion regarding the common symptoms and injuries associated with whiplash.
A San Antonio car accident lawyer often comes across these common whiplash-related symptoms and injuries:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (“TBI”) – whiplash could cause movement of the brain to ricochet from the back to the front of the skull, injuring the brain resulting in physical, intellectual, emotional and/or social impairments.
- Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Injury – TMJ is a hinge connecting the jawbone to the skull. Injury to this joint may cause popping and clicking sounds, limited range of motion, pain, headaches, and noise or ringing in the ears.
- Facet Joint Injury – whiplash can cause damage to the ligaments holding the facet joints together, which connects the spinal bones and allows you to twist and bend. You may feel pain in your head, neck and upper back.
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome – When the space between the first rib and collarbone is pinched or compressed, you may feel pain, heaviness or fatigue in the affected shoulder or arm, tingling or numbness in the associated hand, swelling, or cold or discolored fingers due to poor circulation. The injury usually appears on the side covered by a seat belt shoulder strap.
- Low Back Pain – caused from the waist seat belt strap or when you brace for impact by using your feet resulting in pressure on the sciatic nerve, fracture of the lumbar spine, or injury or trauma to the abdomen.
Contact a San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer
If you suffered from whiplash caused by an accident, consult a seasoned San Antonio car accident lawyer with Brylak Law at (866) 496-3815.