If you have lost a parent, child or other family member because of another person or company’s actions, you may have be able to seek compensation by filing a wrongful death lawsuit. At Brylak Law we understand how painful and stressful this process can be. We know that money cannot replace your lost loved one, but it can help you to cope with the financial consequences of their death. Our San Antonio wrongful death lawyers will work hard to make sure your rights are protected.
Under Texas law, a wrongful death lawsuit may be brought by surviving family members following the death of their loved one that results in monetary injury as a result of the death. Typically this situation arises when a parent is killed and the surviving spouse and children are left without financial support, but there are many scenarios where a wrongful death claim may be appropriate. Our San Antonio wrongful death lawyers can help make the process more efficient and less stressful.
Do I Qualify as a Dependent?
There are several factors that will determine whether you qualify as a dependent and the degree to which you may qualify for compensation as a dependent. Some factors that insurance companies and judges consider are:
- The duration of your dependency
- If your dependence on the decedent was partial or total
- The nature of the relationship between yourself and the decedent
As a surviving dependent, your right to receive damages may be limited. For example: an adult child is much less likely to be as dependent as a minor child. Based on your relationship to the decedent, damages available may include:
- Children: expenses for housing, education, food, medical care and other necessities.
- Spouses: damages will be based on the degree to which the surviving spouse relied on the decedent and the lifestyle that the surviving spouse was accustomed to. Damages may also be sought for loss of companionship and consortium.
- Parents: surviving parents are evaluated much like surviving children. If you depended on your deceased child for support, you are more likely to receive a larger damages award.
Call Our San Antonio Wrongful Death Lawyers
At Brylak Law, our skilled San Antonio wrongful death lawyers will exhaust every available option to help you recover from your financial and emotional losses. Call us today at (210) 372-8111 for a consultation.