uninsured motoristThe state of Texas requires drivers to have car insurance; however, many people operate vehicles as an uninsured motorist. The Texas Department of Insurance estimates that as many as 20 percent of drivers are uninsured, and nearly 12 percent of all U.S. Drivers do not have car insurance, according to the Insurance Research Council (IRC).

If you are involved in a car accident with an uninsured motorist, you may suffer serious injuries and be unsure of how to recover compensation for those losses. A skilled personal injury attorney can help. Call Brylak Law today at (866) 496-3815 to find out how we can help you after an accident with an uninsured motorist.

Texas Car Insurance Requirements

Texas requires that drivers carry liability insurance coverage. Liability insurance covers injuries and property damage when the driver is at fault. It will pay for medical costs and car repairs sustained by the other person who is not at fault. However, it does not cover the drive who is responsible for the injuries.

If you are a driver in Texas, you must have the following insurance coverage:

  • $30,000 per person per accident
  • $60,000 for all people in one accident
  • $25,000 for property damage in one accident

In addition to this mandatory coverage, a driver may have uninsured motorist / underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. This covers your costs if you’re in an accident with someone who does not have the minimum insurance required by law or if their insurance is not enough to cover all of your losses.

Obtaining Compensation After an Accident With an Uninsured Motorist

When you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, you may have significant medical bills, be unable to work, and have property damage. These expenses can be overwhelming. If your accident was caused by someone else’s negligent or reckless actions, they are to blame. However, if they didn’t have liability insurance, it can be difficult to recover compensation. Some options include making a claim under your own UM/UIM policy or suing the responsible party in court.

Making a Claim Under Your UM/UIM Policy

The fastest way to recover compensation for your losses is to make a claim with your uninsured motorist / underinsured motorist policy. Your insurance company will cover your injuries and damages the same way that the opposing party’s insurance company should have. However, like all insurance companies, yours will attempt to pay as little as possible. They may even offer you a low-ball settlement offer, meaning it will be far less than your damages are worth. When dealing with any insurance company, it’s best to work with a personal injury attorney to guide you through the process. Even though your uninsured motorist policy will be covering the damages, they may not treat you fairly.

Suing the Responsible Party

Another option that is possible in addition to making a claim on your own insurance policy is to sue the party responsible for your damages. Although the person may not have had insurance, they may have enough assets to cover your losses. Even if they do not currently have assets, they may in the future. You can even obtain a wage garnishment to cover the debt that they owe to you.

Call Brylak Law for Help With Uninsured Motorist Claims

When dealing with the legal system, it’s best to seek the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Our skilled attorneys are familiar with uninsured motorist claims and we can help you understand your legal options. If you need to file a claim on your own insurance policy, we will communicate and negotiate with your insurance company. If you wish to sue the responsible party, we can file the necessary paperwork and take the case to trial, if necessary. Call Brylak Law today at (866) 496-3815.