Pueblo CO Truck Accident Lawyer
Because commercial trucks are larger and heavier, truck wrecks often result in serious injuries or sometimes even death. In order to receive compensation after a crash, you need the legal expertise of a Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer. Truck accident claims are complex. An experienced injury attorney can help you protect your rights as well as your legal claim. Call Brylak Law at (866) 496-3815 today.
Common Types of Trucking Accidents in Pueblo CO
Although single vehicle accidents involving only a truck may occur, many crashes involve other motor vehicles or people. Common types of accidents include the following:
- Multi-vehicle accidents with other cars, buses, or motorcycles
- Bicycle and truck accidents
- Pedestrian and truck accidents
- Animal and truck accidents
The more people involved in an accident, the more costly the wreck can be. A Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer can help you navigate the legal process with other drivers, a trucking company, and aggressive insurance agencies.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
When investigating a truck accident, it’s important to determine the cause of the accident. This will help you figure out which party was at fault and thus caused your injuries. Once you determine whose actions (or inaction) caused the wreck, you can hold that party responsible for your losses. Common causes of truck accidents include the following:
- Truck driver error
- Violation of traffic laws, such as speeding
- Driver fatigue
- Inexperience or improper training
- Distracted driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Defective truck parts
- Improper maintenance
- Unsafe road conditions
- Dangerous weather
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Improperly loaded or overweight trucks
Your Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer will conduct an independent investigation to determine the cause of your accident. This may require reviewing police accident reports, evidence at the scene, and hiring an expert witness.
Who Is Liable for My Truck Accident?
When determining liability for a truck accident, you are trying to determine who is legally responsible for your losses. In a typical car accident, the driver who was negligent is also liable. However, truck accident cases can be more complex. You must consider multiple insurance policies, employment laws, and personal injury practices.
A Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer can help you determine if the following parties are liable for your damages:
- The driver – If a truck driver is an independent contractor or acted outside of the scope of their employment, they may be personally liable for your damages.
- The trucking company – In many cases, even if a driver was negligent, the trucking company will be liable as the employer. Sometimes you may hold both the driver and company liable.
- A manufacturing company – If the truck or parts were designed or manufactured defectively, then you may hold an outside company responsible for creating a dangerous situation.
- A maintenance company – If the truck was improperly maintained or a maintenance company broke something on the vehicle, they may be responsible for damages.
Many times, people will try to point the finger of blame at other parties to avoid liability in a truck accident claim. Your Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer can work to determine who is responsible and hold them accountable.
Colorado State and Federal Trucking Laws
Truck companies and drivers must comply with various state and federal laws. If they do not, and they cause a wreck, they can be held liable for damages that are caused. Your Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer will review truck records, black box recordings, dash cam information, driving hour logs, etc. to determine whether the trucking company and driver were in compliance with all relevant laws.
Common questions your Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer may ask to determine if state and federal laws were followed include:
- How long was the truck driver on the road?
- When was the truck driver’s last rest period?
- Has the truck driver taken a drug test?
- How much did the truck weigh?
- What type of cargo was the truck carrying?
- Was the load tied down appropriately?
- When was the truck last inspected and serviced?
- Did the truck driver keep pre- and post-trip inspection logs?
- Where is the trucker’s log book?
- Does the trucking company have maintenance records for the truck?
Answers to these questions can reveal whether or not the truck driver and trucking company were in compliance with state and federal laws. If they were not, their failure to adhere to the law may have caused your accident. A Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer can review this information and determine if it is relevant to your case.
Compensation After a Truck Accident
Dealing with the physical and mental pain of serious truck accident injuries is stressful enough. You shouldn’t have to worry about your financial situation on top of that. A Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer can help you recover compensation for the following:
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Disability and disfigurement
- Property damage
- Loss of consortium and enjoyment of life
- Burial and funeral costs, if you lost a loved one
- Punitive damages
It’s important to work with an attorney right away because the value of your case will diminish quickly as the evidence fades.
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident in Pueblo CO?
After a truck accident, you may be confused and unsure of what to do. It’s important to act quickly to care for yourself and protect your rights. Take the following steps after a truck accident in Pueblo CO:
- Obtain medical treatment for yourself and call for help for others.
- Call 911 or the Pueblo Police Department or Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office.
- Obtain personal information from the other drivers and witnesses.
- Obtain insurance information from the truck driver and other drivers who were involved.
- Take pictures and video of the scene of the accident, including all vehicle damage and roadways nearby.
- Preserve your own vehicle for later inspection.
- Call a Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Your Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer will take many more steps, including requesting information from the truck driver and his employer. You will likely also obtain an accident report from the police. However, you shouldn’t have to worry about these steps. Instead, contact a knowledgeable Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer who can help with your case while you focus on healing.
Insurance Companies After a Pueblo CO Truck Accident
Your insurance company and that of the truck driver may contact you after an accident in Pueblo CO. However, you should not speak with anyone until you consult a Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer. Insurance companies may tell you they are on your side, but they are not. Even your own insurance company will be interested in paying as little as possible for your accident.
The trucking company’s insurance carrier is often on the scene of an accident before the police. Their goal will be to minimize their liability in your accident. Do not speak to them at the accident scene. Instead, convey what happened to the police. Take pictures if you are well enough to, as the trucking insurance company may try to move pieces of the truck and interfere with the scene. They may also try to collect the black box and trucker log books. Take pictures of all of their activities.
The sooner you call a Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer, the sooner we can put a hold on the trucking insurance company’s actions. We will request information from them and make sure they do not destroy any evidence.
What Is My Pueblo CO Truck Accident Case Worth?
The value of every accident is different. However, a Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer can review your case and give you an estimate of what you may be able to obtain through an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. When determining the value of your truck accident case, your attorney will consider the following:
- Your age and employment status
- Your injuries and recovery time
- The impact on your normal daily activities
- Whether your employment was affected
- The amount of income you lost
- The extent to which you’ve suffered mentally and physically
- How the accident impacted your spouse and family
- The policy coverage limits
- Punitive damages or those to punish the trucker
- Whether you were partially responsible for the accident
By consulting with a Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer, you can find out what your accident case is worth.
Contact a Pueblo CO Truck Accident Lawyer Today
At Brylak Law, we advocate for clients who have been seriously injured or lost loved ones in truck accidents. Call our Pueblo CO truck accident lawyer today at (866) 496-3815.